Oregon coast languages and CJ loanwords

Sun Aug 29 23:22:31 UTC 1999

LaXayEm!

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*

		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
Qhata mEsayka?
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html

	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html
In the "Handbook of American Indian Languages", that classic from the
US Government Printing Office (volume 40, part 2, published in 1922), I
find these morsels of knowledge.  I won't bother recreating the actual
accent marks and odd symbols, as the data shine even without them.  You
can go to the library if you need to see tildes, carets and macrons.

SIUSLAWAN (LOWER UMPQUA)

page 442:  kotan 	"horse" 	(Lower Umpqua dialect has shqaxch,

					'apparently related to Alsea
					chqenx', but also resembling
					Salishan sqaXe7, coincidentally.
					ChInUk Wawa /khiyutan/.)
page 452:  hiq!a	"dentalia shells"  (ChInUk Wawa ?/haykwa/.)
page 455:  shukwa	"sugar"		(Or perhaps directly from
					English.)
page 558:  kushu	"hog"		(Just like ChInUK Wawa.)
page 569:  ciyikciyik	"wagon"		(ChInUk Wawa /cikcik/.)
"""" """:  musmus	"cow"		(ChInUk Wawa /musmus/.)

CHASTA COSTA

page 9:    bosyi	"cat"		(Perhaps directly from English
					'pussy'.)

TAKELMA

page 217:  t'gwil	"hazelnut"	(ChInUk Wawa /t'aqwEla/, as I
					recall it.)

COOS

page 381:  puspus	"cat"
**** ***:  musmus	"cow"

What's always interesting to me, when I see lists of words like this one,
is how they show us that ChInUk Wawa was used among tribes as well as with
whites.  Some of the words above look as though they'd been learned from
other Indian people -- not from "fur traders" or "settlers".

Best,

Dave