Dzunuqua WAKASHAN

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Mon Feb 1 10:14:35 UTC 1999

*****************
This is from Scott, from Neah Bay. I include a comment that David

Robertson made on it, too.
Henry
*****************

TlaXayam Henry,
What you said is interesting.

        In gill's dictionary the goblin is Se-at-co looks a lot
like
Dsoonoqua.  This could be the same thing.
        This creature may be what is now called Sasquatch.  There

is a
Salish term for sasquatch.

        I am from Neah Bay the southern most branch of the
Nuchanulth on the
American side of the Straights.  We do have the Basket woman who
is called
i?i?shka--who was known to pitch in the eyes of children.  Our
stories have
!Qweti (Mink) the one who killed her.  Now !Qweti might also be
'snot
boy'--I an not sure of the connection.
        At the Ozette (oose?ihl?atX) archeological site south of
Neah Bay,
there was dug up a 500 year old bone carving that fits into and
mussel
shell.  This may have been used to illustrate the 'snot boy'
story.   In the
story he was placed in a shell and kept on out growing his
shell.  He grew
up and did wondrous things.
        There was also found and carved stone breast.  In one of
the stories
when !qweti refused to get his mother water, she turned into a
bluejay.
When he ran to where she was standing all he found on the ground
where her
breasts.  He shot an arrow at her and grazed her head causing the

bluejay to
have the little tuft of feathers that now stands up on the head
of all
bluejays.  Whenever he would go to the beach he would see the
worn , rounded
sea boulders and was reminded of his mother, and he would cry.
Atleast
these items seem to have been props for story telling.
        In Neah Bay there was the !tsayiq (Red face) associated
with
Healing.  And  the tlukwalli (Black face) wolf ceremonial
associated with
law and order and punishment.  To the 20 miles east of Neah Bay
was the
Clallams (straight of Georgia Salish) ( and to south was the
Quileute and
further south the Quinalt (?Puget Salish).
        Most people from Neah Bay agree that both (!tsayiq and
tlukwalli)
came from the north (i.e. Vancouver Island). These terms did come

in with
the wolf ceremonial.  Which I also believe came from the
Kwakiutl.  The Wolf
Ceremonial or tlukwalli or tlukwalla, or dlugwalla has come to
replace an
earlier ceremonial called the doolthab (deer cermonial).  The
term for
tlukwalli has come into the Salish Language and they say, atleast

in Twana
Texts the term, Hlukwalli.  These replaced the doolthab (?deer
ceremonial)
in Neah Bay of which there is hardly any information at all.
        It is conceivable at a much earlier time the word for
deer also was
diffused through the whole area along with its ceremonial, but I
have not
heard of the Doolthub any where else.  The word for deer mowitch,

bookwa!ch
in Makah is spread all over from the north of Vancouver Island
down to the
Columbia River and is in CJ.

        Scott

[Dave:]

Klahowya, Scott pe kanawi msayka!

Nawitka, weght mayka tumtum, tlonas Scott yaka tiki mash ukuk
tzem kapa
kanawi nesaika.  Na klush, Scott?

KLush san,
Dave

[PS -- Wek naika tumtem ukuk 'tsiatko' chaku kapa uk Kwakiutl pi
Nuucha'nulh; ilip hayu tilkhem tumtem yaka chaku kapa Selish;
Chehalis?
I dunno if 'tsiatko' comes from Kw. or Nu.; most folks seem to
believe
it's from Salishan; Chehalis?  -- It's also a CJ word, by the
way; cf.
Skookum, Stik Sawash, etc.]