[Fwd: Re: Dzunuqua WAKASHAN]

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Mon Feb 1 16:34:32 UTC 1999

Hi, I got this directly from Dell Hymes, it looks like it's meant
for the whole bunch of us.

-------- Original Message --------
Betreff: Re: Dzunuqua  WAKASHAN
Datum: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:41:52 -0500
Von: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
An: Henry Kammler <henry.kammler at stadt-frankfurt.de>

>TlaXayam Henry,
>What you said is interesting.
>
>        In gill's dictionary the goblin is Se-at-co looks a lot
>like
>Dsoonoqua.  This could be the same thing.
>        This creature may be what is now called Sasquatch.  There
>
>is a
>Salish term for sasquatch.
>
>        Scott

[snip!]

>[Dave:]
>
>Klahowya, Scott pe kanawi msayka!
>
>Nawitka, weght mayka tumtum, tlonas Scott yaka tiki mash ukuk
>tzem kapa
>kanawi nesaika.  Na klush, Scott?
>
>KLush san,
>Dave
>
>[PS -- Wek naika tumtem ukuk 'tsiatko' chaku kapa uk Kwakiutl pi
>Nuucha'nulh; ilip hayu tilkhem tumtem yaka chaku kapa Selish;
>Chehalis?
>I dunno if 'tsiatko' comes from Kw. or Nu.; most folks seem to
>believe
>it's from Salishan; Chehalis?  -- It's also a CJ word, by the
>way; cf.
>Skookum, Stik Sawash, etc.]

No way se-at-co  could be Tsonoqua.  First of all, at the mouth
of the
Columbia the Chinookan form was U-t'onoqan.  The s of of the
Kwakwala ts-
form is found only in Kwakwala, so far as I know.  Not at least
along the
Columbia.
	That the figure may have been a source of 'Big Foot' occurred to
my
Wasco friend, Hiram Smith, discussing a story he had heard from a
relative.
There the name is a-t'unaqa.  But generally among Wascos the
figure was
equated with the kangaroo, because of its bounding down hill, its
huge
breasts thrown back over its shoulders.  When Michael Silverstein
told
people at Yakima and Warm Springs he was going to Australia, some
told him
to be sure to watch out for a-t'unaqa (joke).

			Dell Hymes

P. S.  skookum and stik are unlikely derivable from se-at-co.
What
happened to the middle syllable -at-?  To the first k?  Whence
the -m?  Why
isn't 'stik' from English 'stick'? People at Warm Springs seem to
think it
is.