Russian Federal Archives

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Feb 2 18:50:41 UTC 1999

At 09:07 AM 2/2/99 -0800, John Schilke wrote:
>Mike,
>	One other place you might not have thought to look into is Fort
>Ross, the Russian fort near Point Reyes, California.  They MIGHT have
>some material.  It is now under mgt by the National Park Service, I believe.

It's odd that the survival of materials on Russian America in Russia/the
former Soviet Union is so unlikely, and that the records would most
probably be preserved in the US.  Maybe, maybe not.  I know that Russian
diplomatic records concerning the late 18th Century fur trade _did_
survive, because Derek Pethick makes mention of them; but as for day-to-day
operations of the RAC, I guess you're right that they'd more likely be over
here rather than over there......