"inoculating" against smallpox in the old days

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Wed Feb 3 05:51:39 UTC 1999

Well, as for the guy who went around inoculating natives from a
festering cowpox pustule, he may well have been infecting some, but I
don't doubt the intent was vaccination.  The methods then were crude in
hospitals, and surely cruder on the frontier.  Cowpox is indeed a
disease itself, but a milder one than smallpox, and which once endured
usually confers immunity to the other.

As for the Black Death, while the cumulative losses in some communities
of Europe might have run that high, I understand it was generally in the
20-50% range.  But it only takes a sudden population loss of 15% to
wreak economic and social havoc.  (The word "decimate," often used to
imply near-annihilation, literally means a 10% loss--considered a
devastating rout in battle by the Romans.)

It took a few centuries for Europe to get back on its feet after the
plague; while it was horrible, the long-term effect might actually be
considered of some benefit there.  (Well, viewed from the very
comfortable distance of half a millennium since.)  The value of
labor--and subsequently, the importance of individuals, eventually
extending to acceptance of the notion of rights--made big gains after
the disaster.  Also, technology, long resisted in a labor-surplus
environment, began to take hold, beginning in the monasteries, where the
combination of their inherent industriousness, education (relative to
the outside) and the economic constraints of a cloistered life spurred
the development and use of such devices as clockwork and milling
machinery.  (Leading to things like the printing press and movable
type.)

From what I have read the losses of Native Americans to smallpox
fluctuated, from less severe figures (15-30%) where contact was more
limited (east of the Mountains), to extreme (perhaps even over 90% in
the Chinooks) where contact with Europeans was highest (as well as the
climate less forgiving).  The effects of disease, overwhelming
immigration, and conquest tragically combined to devastate the Indians.

Curiously, while smallpox has been eradicated (perhaps the only disease
yet made extinct by human intervention), the plague is still around, and
people sometimes die of it today around the American Southwest, even
near here.  (A couple each year, on average.)  An Oregon man died of
bubonic plague just a couple of years ago, in the southwestern
mountains.  Plague fleas here aren't human fleas, but it is still
important to avoid any dead small animals out in the woods; a hungry
squirrel-flea can indeed bite you.

Regards,

Jeff