Sound shifts; Michif as Metis language

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Wed Feb 3 09:01:27 UTC 1999

Mike Cleven schrieb:

> The Canadian Metis organizations are pretty specific about it being THE
> Metis language.  At least the Prairie organizations anyway, and maybe those
> in northern Ontario.  "Metis" in BC has a broader meaning that's not as
> tied up with "traditional Metis culture".  Metis French is another
> matter.....and different from Saskais or Franco-Manitobaine......

Now that's pretty interesting. As far as I know, Michif proper (the one we
linguists love for being one of the rare cases of a "mixed" language) is only
spoken by several thousand people in Montana / southern Sask. and Alberta, whereas
many other Métis communities are in fact multilingual (French - Cree - English,
with interferences of course which lead to local designations for the respective
variants).

Henry