malaria

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Fri Feb 5 13:15:50 UTC 1999

Well, it seems the list is wandering a bit from language, but I don't
think it inappropriate; a lot of my interest in the Jargon comes from
examining and seeking understanding of the profound transitions which
occurred here concurrent with its use.  Indeed, the study of language
is at least partly a pursuit of the chemistry of societal development
and exchange, and pidgins in particular by their nature focus
attention on the effects of social change and cross-cultural
interaction.

There's also a wonderfully thought-provoking "what if" aspect to the
Jargon; in his new book, Terry Glavin ponders whether Chinook Jargon
might have possibly somehow evolved into the region's first language.
And as schoolchildren, we were invited to ponder the question of
"what if" Oregon had ended up being part of Canada.

Straw poll:  How many of us have read "Ecotopia?"  Or "The Nine
Nations of North America"?  I'll bet most have, one or the other.

Regards,

Jeff