Taint of colonialism on CJ gatherings

Fri Feb 5 23:29:55 UTC 1999

LaXayEm, Lush siXs, pi kanawi-Laksta,

Nayka tEmtEm tL'unEs hilu ukuk lalang, kakwa ncayka kEmtEks yaka, pus
anqEti wik chaku uk tkop man tIlXam.  I think there might be none of this
(CJ) language, as we know it, had the white people not come.

Wik-saya kwanEsEm nayka skukum tEmtEm, mEsachi Ikta pus ncayka Latuwa
khapa uk tkop tIlXam yaka haws pus chaku kEmtEks uk sawash tIlXam yaka
wawa.  I almost always would think it a bad thing to go to the white
people's house to learn an indigenous Indian language.

Pi yakwa, k'iwa uk tkop man Laska chaku, ncayka t'u?wEn ukuk lalang
kakwa chinuk wawa.
But in this case, it's because the whites came that we have such a
language as CJ.  (In its current form.)

Ukuk kakwa ukuk IlI?i yaka lalang, pi wik ixt tIlXam Laska lalang.
It's as though it were the language of this region, and not the language
of only some people.

Kakwa, Lush pus ncayka palach kEmtEks yaka, kanawi qha, khapa kanawi
tIlXam.
So let's teach it to everyone, everywhere, khapa ukuk IlI?i.

Na Lush?
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html