north & south

Christopher Schindler chris24 at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Feb 8 06:42:50 UTC 1999

KLAHOWYA KLAKSTA KONAWAY!

The recent mention of the CJ words for north & south, including those in
Duane Pasco's dictionary - stopilo=north, stehwa=south - got me running to
my Lushootseed dictionary (Dawn Bates, Thom Hess & Vi Hilbert, 1994).  There
I found s.tubElE (accent on u, E=shwah) glossed as "northwest wind" and
tEgwaaq'w (note no s., w's should be superscribed, accent on first a) for
"south wind".  Besides wondering about these words in CJ, I also noted
Duane's word for river, "stalo", which made me think of Lushootseed,
"s.tulEkw" (accent on u, w superscribed) for river (seen also in
Stillaguamish, lit. people of the river).
Just thought this might be of interest for the discussion.

Chris Schindler