malaria

Nadja Adolf nadolf at NAVITEL.COM
Mon Feb 8 17:10:50 UTC 1999

According to the CDC, there are mosquitoes capable of carrying the
malaria parasite in all the Lower 48 states. The last mosquito borne
outbreak
was in 1961 in Portland. There was also one in the late 1940s, early
1950s in
Junction City.

I suggest you call the Oregon State Health Division in Portland.
Although the
ambient temperature may be below 60 F, water has a very high specific
heat, and
may remain above 60 F overnight.

It is well established that malaria was endemic in the Willamette Valley
in the
19th C. It is also well established that the coastal peoples entered the
Willamette
Valley to trade with the tribes there before European contact, and there
is no
evidence that European contact ended this trade.

nadja