Ruby and Brown re Klamath knowledge of CJ

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Tue Feb 9 17:08:32 UTC 1999

> Robert H. Ruby and John A. Brown, "Indians of the Pacific Northwest."
> Norman:  University of Oklahoma, 1981.
>
> *Page 208:  'Unlike their Chinook sisters, Klamath women knew on the
> average but a dozen English words and were unfamiliar with the Chinook
> jargon.

Why do they look at women when they mention trade languages? It was rather
unusual for women to do the trading business (nothing left for the boys to do
other than being called lazy ...)
Upon white pressure the Klamath had to migrate from NE California into Oregon
after 1850, so it is not surprising they didn't speak CJ. In northern
California it was usual for *everyone* to be proficient in one or two of the
neighbors' languages (one case was reported from the Yurok where a man was
said to be able to converse in fourteen different tribal languages - even half
the number would be impressive). No urgent need for a trade jargon then.

> I'm unsure why women are specifically mentioned as gun-traders ... Maybe
> this was an especially fierce ethnic group.  :-)

"The Amazon Princess Of The Lavabeds" ...

At least the Modoc got Uncle Sam quite scared at a time.

Henry