Jargon in Carcross YT

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Feb 10 02:34:55 UTC 1999

I meant to write this a couple of days ago right after hearing about it;
details are probably fuzzy now......the CBC North programme "Nedaa" ("Eye")
is regularly broadcast on CBC NewsWorld (our "baby CNN"), and had a lengthy
piece on the history and culture of this quintessential Yukon town....

Turns out Carcross, YT has some "Jargon content".  Apparently its annual
Hyas Potlatch was one of the largest in the far NW until the passing of
Canada's anti-potlatch laws in the early 1920s.  The Potlatch was
reinstated in the 1950s when those laws were repealed and is a major annual
occasion.  It is hosted by the Skookum Jim Friendship Centre (Skookum Jim
was one of the co-discoverers of the Klondike goldfields), and from the
snippets I gathered in the bit I heard it sounds like there were a few
other Jargonisms around town, and the multi-tribal ethnic mix of the local
native (and sourdough) population suggests that whatever variant of the
Jargon was spoken in the Yukon, someone there might still have a handle on

Anyone into a _long_ drive this summer....??