turtle

Linda Fink linda at FINK.COM
Wed Feb 10 04:08:09 UTC 1999

Glad to see you come out of the woodwork, Henry! Eula was teaching small
children jargon at the same time she was teaching us older and slower
learners. I didn't know when she started teaching the kids. She used to
invite us older folk to the recitations her young students gave. But she
started her dictionary because of you, Henry. At least, that's what she told
us and I know you won't contradict Eula. :-)  Her dictionary is what we used
in class. But she must have told us about the Thomas dictionary also because
I went to Jim Hosley's, at Jim's Trading Post here in Grand Ronde, and
bought one. He had a bunch of them. Still has some if anyone is interested.

It's too bad Dellmore Croy is no longer living now that CJ is becoming
popular. Eula said he learned far more of the jargon than she or her sisters
did because he was living at home when the others were gone in the years
when the parents were speaking more and more jargon. He grew up basically
bilingual.

I remember that turtle and rabbit story now! Eula told it to us in jargon
(and had to translate for us slower and older students, even though it was
just like the English version we've all heard so many times.) And yes, I
think she did have the accent on the first syllable. I found another place
where it was written more clearly. (Plus I found stronger glasses.)

I love hearing your experiences with Eula, Henry. She was, as far as I'm
concerned, one of the finest and most fun people who ever lived. So please
come out of lurk mode more often!

Linda Fink