Ma-iskEm ... -Reply

Tony Johnson TonyJ at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Wed Feb 10 21:10:46 UTC 1999

LaXayEm wEXt Henry pi kanawi-Laksta,

>>> Henry Kammler  <henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE> 02/10/99 02:38am

So CJ was apparently the predominant non-English language at GR for
several
generations (and thus made the transition from what linguists call a
"pidgin" to what they call a "creole" -- both terms are in no way linked
notions of _status_ and both are considered fully functional languages
with
the only difference that the latter is spoken by children as L1). May I
ask
you, then:  When did it fall into disuse, i.e. when did
parents/grandparents
stop to raise their children in CJ?

Early reservation times saw people here fluent in their own Native
language and Chinuk-wawa, and in later years everyone was fluent in
English as well as Chinuk.  Despite this the community continued using
Chinuk.  It was the communities "Indian" language.

Regarding when it fell out of use...Only the oldest elders today
maintain knowledge of it that was gained first-hand in the home.
However, the language remains important enough that names of tribal
departments, and soon tribal streets, are named in Chinuk.  Also, it is
important enough that we have a full time language program focused on
revitalizing it.  I'm confident that this will happen.  Today myself,
Henry Zenk and a few of the oldest elders are conversant in it.
However, we are already beginning to teach the language in a variety of
settings and this will continue expanding.  I have to say this because I
don't like to talk about it going out of use without mentioning its
coming back!

I'm hoping Henry might want to jump in here also.  Henry Zenk wrote a
dissertation related to the situation in Grand Ronde.  It is titled
"Chinook Jargon and Native Cultural Persistence in the Grand ROnde
Indian Community, 1856-1907: A specials Case of Creolization."  Henry
mayka tIki munk-c!Em ukuk?

Hayu mehrsi

Tony A. Johnson
Grand Ronde, OR