Another example of doubling....

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu Feb 11 10:00:03 UTC 1999

> One thing that did occur to me - "pish" in single form would be taken as
> "fish", whereas the "pish-pish" seems invariably to be cat or cougar (in
> the Puget Sound-Columbia area, anyway).  Would "puss" ever have occurred in
> an undoubled form?

I think pishpish and pish are not connected. "pishpish" is derived from the
French expression to call / lure a cat from somewhere (like sayings are very
widespread: the comparable German expression would be "mietzmietz"
['mi:tsmi:ts]).  "pish" is from "fish" of course. Maybe you find a similar word
for chicken somewhere, the one domestic animal to have surely had a special
call.

> As far as the Chinook-English alphabetical thing goes; I'm going through my
> Shaw-based English-Chinook pages and reversing everything, then pulling a
> massive "sort" (in Word); then I'll add in all the stuff from my other
> pages, including the Kamloops Wawa, Jacobs, Anderson, and other lists and
> anything else around.  Then ONE BIG SORT, and hopefully I'll be able to
> make it easily searchable.....I'll try and include the Grande Ronde
> spellings eventually, as well as the ASCII renderings.......Gawd, what a
> lot of work!

Maybe you should try the really handy freeware SHOEBOX (from SIL, though ...),
a linguist's analysis suite I would call it, with wich you can define your own
sort orders (say L after l and X after H or something) and you can build up
databases and concordances from any thinkable kind of text plus you can analyze
text, break it down into morphemes and build lexicon from the original text.
And the good thing: all datafiles are crisp and clean ANSI-code, processable
anywhere.

Henry