Canucks and kanakas

Sun Feb 14 02:45:20 UTC 1999

Howdy,

Just got E. Drechsel's & H. Makuakane's paper on Hawai'ian loanwords in
CJ.

Footnote 2 mentions the possible connection of "Kanaka" with "Canuck"
(originally 'an epithet for a dark-skinned French-Canadian of part-Indian
descent on the frontier').  Later the term, as the papers notes, became
general for all Canadians.

May I note that many people in the Spokane, Washington area at least, use
the term "Doukhobor" [du*k at bor] in a similar way.  No time to define the
term now, so I'll apologize, rrun, and point you to the encyclopedia.

Cheers,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html