tsil tsil 'owas (fwd) from Scott Tyler

Wed Feb 24 22:02:38 UTC 1999

It is important to recognize we have a very diverse group of participants in
the Chinook List.
We have active University faculty and retired faculty, linguists,
ethnographers, anthropologists and many students of the same.
We have tribal programs and tribal individuals.  Participants from US,
Canada, European and other countries.
With this far reaching mix of participants we are bound to have personality
conflicts, misunderstanding, miscommunication and misconceptions about where
the limits are set for allowable communications.
I personally use this to educate myself about WaWa,  as a sounding board for
Good, Bad and Ugly poetry ( sounds like a Clint Eastwood movie), sometimes
translating things requiring an unpoetic very concrete use of Wawa, and my
hope is to come up with some good sounding wawa and make a Native song in
the same tradition as the ones I learned growing up.
The List is an dynamic entity which has taken all comers.  As a user I do
appreciate a gentle reminder when I get off track, I take an artistic
approach to Wawa, some take a purest approach.  And some participants want
to revive a language and culture, some want to establish a place for their
Nation; a voice saying, "We are still here! We never went anywhere!"  Some
want to establish a format for intellectual debate, race relations, Native
and other spirituality, social intercourse and interaction.

		alah hayas wawa !
		spus hiyu tilikam mamuk wawa kanamakst alta alta !
		spus hilu kwolan kupa munk kwolan !

This manifold flow (oq hayas kuli) has been happening and the list has
accommodated this surge of thought in Wawa.  We do not need to establish a
new list to do the same but this is a group decision.  Every once in a while
it is OK to be gently corralled back a central focus.
It would be easier to herd house cats than to get our group going in one
direction.

		spus hawkwatl mamuk kishkish
		hiyu pish pish oqoq

Dave Robertson has done a great job keeping the flow going, releasing
loggerheads, setting limits and making contributions.  As participants we
should also be willing to moderate our own contributions as individuals, who
know full well that not everyone is attached nor are they interested in
every one of our individual contributions.  My hat off to Dave for doing a
lion's share to get keep this going.

		alta yaka skukam man  (a strong man)
		yaka lalang kakwa kwan ( a kind tongue)
		hilu yaka hayas kw'as (fearless)
		yaka kakwa talapas (like Coyote)
					ushtaqi/scott

The Chinook WaWa list is not a end in itself, it is a tool to do many things
as determined by the diverse aspirations those who participate.
A personality conflict can sometimes be a diversion--a fun one at times, a
distraction at best, a challenge to overcome, and  definitely within the
capacity of our collective minds to sort through.
This remind me of a line from a John Candy movie, " nothing worse than a
blabber mouth chowder head".

		hiyu masi nayka siks
		tamtam kakwa kanim stik

Let's get on with the Wawa.  Scott