Rare book archive asks assistance: What's best old CJ dictionary?

Fri Jan 8 06:29:33 UTC 1999

LaXiyEm, tIlXEm,

I have been approached by the rare book archive of a university, with the
following question:  "What is the best Chinook [Jargon] dictionary?"

This archive has the opportunity to purchase one or more ChInUk Wawa
dictionaries from a dealer, and wishes to invest its money wisely.

My opinion was that Gibbs is probably the best, and the university does
need to get a copy of that book.  But they also appreciated my offer to
ask the members of this group for their informed opinions.

Please post your replies to the entire list, for everyone's information
and enjoyment.  I will forward them to the archive.

Dret hayu masi, na-siXs,
Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!