Addendum: Kitsilano/Kahtsahlano

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Jan 8 10:01:23 UTC 1999

I found another set of references to the origin of this term elsewhere in
Matthews, this time from a comment by Rev. C.M. Tate (missionary to the
Squamish) concerning the old village at Snauq:
*+*+*+*+*+*+*
The population about 1880 was about fifty.  There is no "K" in
Haatsa-lah-nough.  "lanough" or "lanoch" means "the place of", or "the
property of"; let's see, the whole word would mean "the place of lakes";
"Haatsa" is lake or swamp.  The proper way to spell it is
"Haats-sah-lan-ough"; the terminal is pronounced as in English "cough".
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Elsewhere in Matthews' transcriptions from native elders of the time
(1930s), it comes out that the Kahtsahlano chiefdom was indeed very
ancient, and the title was originally attached to the Squamish community at
Toktakamik (or Tuk-tpak-mik), which is one of the main (and older) Squamish
communities, on the lower reaches of the Squamish River.  The area there is
indeed quite swampy, although there are no significant lakes in the estuary
region of the Squamish homeland other than those in the adjoining hanging
valleys.  The lower to middle reaches of the tributary Cheakamus River,
however, has stretches of swampy lava bed with many small lakes, including
those in the uppermost reaches in the modern town of Whistler; the name may
have some associations with that particular geographical area, but I do not
know Squamish tribal history well enough to know what territorial rights
were assigned to which chiefdoms, if any were at all.

Further, the title Kiapalanogh/Capilano was associated with the Squamish
village of Homulchesan near the mouth of the Capilano River (still a major
Squamish Nation residential area); and the title Thit-see-mah-lah-nough was
the title of the chief at Musqueam (of the Musqueam Nation, who had lived
in and still claim the Burrard Inlet territories now primarily occupied by
the Squamish and their Tsleil-waututh kin).

It has occurred to me to OCR and edit the whole native nomenclature section
of Matthew's "Early Vancouver Vol 2" and post it to the Salishan listserve.
 To my knowledge, in no other location in the Northwest has there been such
a thorough "ethnotoponymy" of any local region; there is also no North
American city with as thorough and authentic a record of its pre-settlement
native names as that researched and published by Major Matthews.  This
would be a fair-sized post, so I thought I'd better field it to the group
for approval before scanning and sending it out.....the other option is to
put it up on a webpage, including Matthews' map and perhaps including the
modern and p.c. orthographies of the names shown.......