Jewitt etc

David Gene Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Jan 15 20:30:23 UTC 1999

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Mike Cleven wrote:

> At 01:31 PM 1/15/99 +0100, Henry Kammler wrote:
>

> <snip>
> >As for European loanwords other than English and French in CJ one could
> >consider the number of trade vessels that had contact with the First
> >Nations. During the boom time of the maritime fur trade (1795 - ca.
> >1803), only 8 Russian and 3 Portuguese ships made it to the West Coast
> >of Vancouver Island, as opposed to about 200 American, 100 English and
> >maybe 60 Spanish vessels.
>
> Actually, the British and Spanish disappeared from the Coast from around
> 1796 onwards, leaving it almost entirely to the Americans.  The heyday of
> the English fur trade was from 1788 to 1794.  Both of the imperial powers
> withdrew their presence from the area in response to the needs of the
> Napoleonic Wars back in Europe; the Spanish also withdrew because Monterey
> had been decided upon as their principal base north of San Blas.

It is my impression from my own research that Hudson's Bay was active well
into the 19th century and that the English were still claiming what is now
Washington State up to about 1849 or so. There were massive "battles"
between the different missionary sects over conversions. Catholic
Missionaries were from Canada and Protestants, Methodists were from the
United States. Additionally, There were exploratory voyages up the coast
to Puget Sound to map the coast for the US. The US Expeditionary forces
were the principle agents.   After the leader of this mapping expedition
presented his report, of the value of the deep water ports of Puget Sound,
the US decided on the current border between US and Canada. (These records
are in the National Archives, Wash DC, in "Reports Transferred to the
Senate from the Department of the Military and the Department of the
Interior," 33rd session to 38th session.) The Chief Factor at Fort
Vancouver, John McGloughlin (sp?) founded Willamette Falls and claimed
land in and around the town. There were many reports about what to do
about and how to settle the Hudson's Bay land claims into the 1860s in the
National Archive records, and many of the American pioneers were
prejudicial toward the Catholics, British and Hudsons' Bay employees.
Thus,
the wars in Europe probably affected the strength of the British in the
Pacific Northwest, which help lead to their literal expulsion from Oregon
and Washington, but the British were still around until the mid-century.

"laska-lulu yaka kanamaqst" (we carry it together)

 "I am alive." Scott Momaday

"We must continue to struggle until we defeat those who have crowned
themselves, those who have helped to take the land from others, those who
make much money with the labor of people like us, those who mock us in
their estates."
>From the:Fourth Declaration of the Lancandon Jungle, 1/1/96.

"haias-masi" (many thanks)

David Lewis