Swans in Hawaiian

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Fri Jan 15 22:35:30 UTC 1999

The Hawaiian word for swan is "nokekula" (no-ke-ku-la) while the Chinook
Jargon word is "kehloke", "keluk" (ke-lok).  They don't seem even
close.  For those interested, Emanuel Drechsel and Haunani Makuakane
wrote an article on Hawaiian loan words in Chinook Jargon.  It's called
"Hawaiian Loan Words in Two Native American Pidgins" and is in the
_International Journal of AMerican Linguistics_, Vol 48, 1982. Quick
summary: Basically there is only two sure loan words. They are "kanaka"
and "owayhee, oihe."  Not very surprising!  The article looks at a
couple of other "possibilities" but not very convincingly.