Hawaiian Loanwords

R K Henderson rkhen at SOFTHOME.NET
Sat Jan 16 04:54:38 UTC 1999

"How" (or a variation thereof) is a very common interjection in First
Nations languages the continent over. The "ho" in Idaho is reportedly a
Shoshone verbal exclamation point; the word itself is apparently
descended from the Shoshone wake-up call, "Sun's up!" (I don't speak
Shoshone; I read this somewhere.)

In Flathead (and, incidently, in my grandfather's Jargon) the word for
"hello," "head's up," "what the hell?" or "anybody home?" is Eh-heh! (My
spelling; sounds very like a throat clearing.) The response is Wa-heh!
The "heh" in both is related to the "ho" in Idaho, and ultimately to
Hollywood's "how." I have also heard (again, unconfirmed) that in some
Cree traditions, "how-how!" signifies agreement, sort of like saying,
"Amen!"

So, to bring this home, it may well be that the "how" in "Klahowya" is
related to the the Hollywood "how". Now that I think if it, "nowitka!"
and "annah!" might also be distantly related, and I'm positive "hwah!" is
the same word as 'ho', 'how,' and 'heh'.

Ulkeh,

RK Henderson
Writer and Photographer

Check out my biweekly column on world languages:
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/world_languages