klahowya

Mon Jan 18 07:34:19 UTC 1999

Hi, Linda,

Tony or Henry Zenk would know better, as would Dell Hymes or Michael
Silverstein, but I do believe that "Klahowya" is a perfectly
well-pedigreed Old Chinook term.

In Grand Ronde pronunciation it's now La*XiyEm or LaXa*yEm.  (* marks
stress on the preceding vowel.)

By the way Barbara Harris and Andrea Giles mention a folksy version of
where "klahowya" came from in their list of items in the Chinook Jargon
Project up at U.Vic in BC.  "Clark, how are you?" referring to a Hudson's
Bay Company factor.  There are other versions of this myth.

Best wishes!
Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!