jowett etc

No Name Available GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA
Tue Jan 19 23:51:37 UTC 1999

(This may be a repeat, if so, apologies. Our mailer didn't seem to like the
first address I gave it.)

Further to Mosin~o's "mystery words": Gibbs and Shaw both have _seahpoo_ as
'hat, cap' and both say it's from Fr. _chapeau_.

Also, _nanitch_ means 'look, see' ; I've seen _kloshe nanitch_ 'watch out for';
Gibbs notes "quaere u.d." as always when he can't give an etymology ("ask
whence (it) descends"), but somebody (my notes are vague here and Shaw's at
home and I'm not) says that "Dr. Scouler" gives a form _nannatitch_ which he
says is common in Nootka and on the Columbia.

Any help?

Barbara Harris