Jewitt etc [addendum]

Wed Jan 20 03:36:39 UTC 1999

Howdy Jim,

I dunno, that etymology just doesn't wash for me.  "Pasisi" doesn't sound
like "pasay-", and reduplication of syllables in Old Chinook wouldn't
operate in such a way as to produce a resemblance!

Also, I'd expect "pasayuks" to mean all whites, all non-sawash even, if
there were an origin in "pasisi - uks" to be found.  Just an opinion.

Finally, and most interesting, "blanket people" referring to HBC folks
could be a wonderful "backformation" from the folk-etymology "pasisi-uks"!
Now, that's the kind of weird thing that actually does occur all the time
in languages!

Hmm, because there's nothing sensitive in your message to me, Jim, I'm
going to fwd it to the list.  [Please let me know if my judgment could
stand some fine-tuning, though.]  That plus this note seem appropriate to
the current thread(s).

Lhush tEnEs-pulakli, siXs!
Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!