Jewitt etc [addendum] (fwd)

Wed Jan 20 03:36:44 UTC 1999

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 06:23:35 -0800
From: Jim Holton <jim at adisoft-inc.com>
To: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
Subject: Re: Jewitt etc [addendum]

I think the term "Pasiooks" comes from "Pasisi" plus "uks" or "the
blanket people."  This is what Gibbs gives as the most likely
derivation.  Also, some of the early literature, for instance Theodore
Winthrop, refered to people employeed by HBC as "blanketeers." I think
it was the hat that gave them away. LaXayEM, Jim