A bit more on chance similarities/ was Re: Salishan-Wakashan

Thu Jan 21 18:38:26 UTC 1999

Hi,

A message I sent was a little unclear:  By chance similarities, I mean
that I'm interested in occurrences like Nuucha'nulth / Nootka having
something like "tsyapuuLt" (sorry) for 'a kind of hat', and (Metis) French
having "shapo" i.e. chapeau for 'hat', AND Chinuk Wawa having "siapo" with
the same meaning.

In other words, when one of or more of the donor languages to the Jargon
***has a word very similar-looking to an item in the Jargon,
***and with a very similar meaning,
***but like Nuucha'nulth in the example above, is *not* considered to have
contributed this word to the Jargon...
That's where this interest of mine comes about.

One may ponder whether the existence of these sorts of coincidences
assisted the speakers of a given CJ donor language (and by extension those
who spoke any language natively) in learning and remembering the Jargon.

Folk etymologies of Jargon words, like that example of 'Clark(e)/Clerk,
how are you?' for "LaXa(w)yE(m) / klahowya" appropriately fit into this
idea.  And there are quite a few words I've noticed already which have
demonstrable origins in either Old Chinook or in Nuucha'nulth, but
counterparts for which in the other of these 2 languages have a remarkably
similar sound.

Worth writing a paper on someday?

Best,
Dave

  To learn about subscribing to the SALISHAN or CHINOOK jargon discussion
   groups, just reply to this  message.  Support Native language studies!