a little more re Mozin~o

Fri Jan 22 03:54:43 UTC 1999

Howdy,

Here are the words I found in a quick glance through Mozin~o's "Noticias
de Nutka", excepting proper names that didn't seem like sources for the
Jargon:

* 'Beans are for them the most delicious dish.  "Taiz-frijoles" they call
them, that is to say "dish of kings"

* 'A contrary fate is that of the plebeians or Meschimes...'

* 'The Engish commander ... [and] the Spanish ... have been examples of
kindness to [the Indians].  They say Cococoa Quadra, cococoa Vancouver,
when they wish to ponder the good treatment of any of the Captains that
commanded the other ships.'

(These come from a typescript translation by an anonymous person, without
date or location, deposited in the Spokane Public Library's Northwest
room.)

Note that Meschimes is not in Mozin~o's Nootka wordlist as I have it.
Note also the Nuucha'nulth's ready use of the Spanish word 'frijoles'.
Perhaps a Nootka-jargon-in-the-making as Mozin~o narrates?

Good evening, from
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html