Cox re voyageurs and Native people around Astoria

Mon Jan 25 18:52:05 UTC 1999

Cox, Ross.  "Adventures on the Columbia".  Portland:  Binfords & Mort,
s.d.  ['Binfords & Mort's hundred page, illustrated, large type FAR
WESTERN CLASSICS edited by Alfred Powers ... No. 2']

This edition contains much more Metis French than anything else of
linguistic interest to our list.  In fact, it looks like a good source for
the former.  The one other item I find is on

* page 56:  '[Duncan M'Dougall] assembled several of the chieftains and,
showing them a small bottle, declared that it contained the smallpox...if
the white people were not attacked or robbed for the future, the fatal
bottle should not be uncorked.  He was greatly dreaded by the Indians, who
... called him by way of preeminence "the great smallpox chief".

This I cite because it looks like another possible example of a direct
translation from the Chinook Jargon.  But it brings up today's quiz
question:  Qhata mayka wawa "smallpox" khapa uk ChInUk Wawa?

Lush san,

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html