'Hau' / 'How' but not 'Klahowya'

Nadja Adolf nadolf at NAVITEL.COM
Mon Jan 25 19:57:04 UTC 1999

	[Nadja Adolf]  Probably because some of the Northwestern
	tribes that hunted on the plains didn't eat dogs
	and thought the Siouxian people (and Lewis and Clark) barbarians
because
	of the practice. I believe the Nez Perce were most outspoken in
this
	view.

	Which reminds me of a joke my friend Yvonne Marie, a good
Catholic
	Sioux gal, used to tell:

	Recipe for Thanksgiving Day white puppy:

	Choose a cute, cuddly adorable white puppy at the pound.
	Bring it home.
	Invite missionary to Thanksgiving dinner.
	Cuddle the puppy while chopping carrots and potatoes.
	Sautee onions.
	Put carrots in Dutch oven with potatoes and carrots.
	Begin to simmer vegetables.
	Ask missionary to hold puppy while you chop kindling.
	Come into house with hatchet. Ask missionary to hold
	puppy's head on chopping block.

	When missionary leaves, put Turkey in oven, give
	steak to happy puppy.

	Missionary will never try to cadge dinner again. B^)