'Hau' / 'How' but not 'Klahowya'

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Tue Jan 26 08:57:43 UTC 1999

> (So Sioux me if my grammar is bad.

No need for that, kola. Nitaoie he was'te' lo.

As many "Indian" stereotypes emerged in the East I'm wondering if "how / hough
/ hau" does maybe stem from one of the Algonkian languages (or pidgins maybe,
like N.Jersey Delaware trade jargon)? This would go into the same category as
"squaw", "wigwam",  "papoose" and others that have are demonstratably
Algonkian in origin.

For those ethnonym hunters:
the Lakota call my people (the Germans)   ie s'ic'a  "bad speech"
maybe the German missionaries at Holy Rosary tried to teach them their lalang
... ;-)

Henry