Comment on dimes and dozens in CJ literature research

Nadja Adolf nadolf at NAVITEL.COM
Wed Jan 27 19:56:17 UTC 1999

Check out Jack London's tales of the Gold Rush. There is a certain
amount
of CJ in them - and a lot of derogatory comments.

Interestingly enough, from my experiences I think the
word became derogatory as more whites moved in to the area. My family
were Washington Territorial pioneers, my one great-grandfather was a
Seneca Indian who came to Washington Territory circa 1880. He
was appalled at the treatment of the American Indians by the whites -
and he'd left the East Coast because he didn't much like how his
educated, affluent and cultured family was often treated there.

He soon found that much abuse came from the Chee Chako whites;
older, more settled whites had intermarried a bit and tended to be
more respectful.

My other great-grandmother told me her mother's disgust at how
new arrivals were trying to drive the Indians away from downtown
Seattle, where they had always sat on the corners and sold things
to the whites - as a child she used to play with kids who came with
their parents to her mother's store. The new arrivals pointed out
that such behavior wasn't seen in the "civilized" east and expressed
horror at the presence of Indians, and even worse, the idea of a little
white girl playing unsupervised with Indian boys and girls.