hooch

Liland Brajant ROS' lilandbr at SCN.ORG
Sun Jan 31 05:49:47 UTC 1999

>>  This burg's a frost, I'm tellin' you; the brand o' hooch they're
>>                                                     ^^^^^        sellin' you
>>    ain't like the stuff we used to get, so let's pack up and go."
>>
>>(an old IOCA song, date & place of origin, and author, unknown)

Somebody asked what IOCA meant.  It stands (or stood?) for something like
"Intercollegiate Outing and Camping Association", and it sponsored the
early editions of the _Song Fest_ line of songbooks.  My acquaintance
with this song is through the 1954 or 1955 (?) edition of _Song Fest_,
compiled by Dick & Beth Best, where it is unattributed.  Despite the
occurrence of "hooch", the song's setting, in ancient Egypt, argues I
think against a Robert Service origin.  But I must admit I haven't read
all the Service I might have.

Leland

--
Liland Brajant Ros' * UEA-D, Seatlo Usono * FD Baptismo, AA, US-lit-ro
      204 N 39th St / Seattle WA 98103 Usono | tel 206-633-2434
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / lbrnpusa at hotmail.com
        webpage "La Lilandejo" - http://www.scn.org/~lilandbr/