Hayne & Taylor re Yukon CJ

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Jan 31 18:31:39 UTC 1999

At 01:24 AM 1/31/99 -0800, Jeffrey Kopp wrote:

>P.S.  Speaking of the HBC, I note it seems to be spelled "Hudsons Bay,"
>although the bay itself is "Hudson's Bay."  Am I right on this one?
>Where did the apostrophe go?  (Probably some story behind it, like the
>missing first comma in "Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith.")

Well, someone in one of the history NGs jumped on me to make a distinction
between "Hudson Bay" (the official gazetted name of the body of water) and
the Hudson's Bay Company ("The Company of Adventurers Trading into Hudson's
Bay).  I think, myself, that "Hudson Bay" is "official" because it's the
Central Canadian variant, while "Hudson's Bay" would be used in the West,
simply because it is the same as the archaic name used in the name of what
is still a widespread department store chain.  "Hudson's Bay" is much older
as a name, of course, and more authentic.....

Don't have a clue about the apostrophe; it's certainly present in the
company name, and on old maps, though.....