The Number Eight....

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Tue Jul 13 06:19:31 UTC 1999

Qhata mEsayka?

A couple quick questions regarding some numbers:

1) Myron Eells gives the number eight in Chinook Jagon as "etokiu."
whereas in 'normal' Chinook Jargon it is "stotekin"; "stotkEn."  Does
anybody know where this comes from?  It doesn't seem (to me) to come
from any of the other languages he worked with.

2) Some references I seen about Chinook Jargon indicate that the numbers
8 (stotKEn) and 9 (kwayst)/are sometimes not used in favor of either
English or an indirect way of referncing them (e.g. "6 + 2").  Is there
any story behind this?

Hayash mEsi, hlaXayEm, Jim