The Number Eight..../'Circumscribed' numerals

Wed Jul 14 15:01:53 UTC 1999

LaXayEm,

But it's noteworthy that e.g. Chinook Jargon '7' is also a 'circumscribed'
numeral in origin -- as far as I can tell.  Perhaps Dell Hymes or another
person can say for sure.

Supposedly most of the numerals in Lakota, Dakota etc. are
'circumscribed', meaning they have meaning rather than just indicating a
number.  The meanings refer to fingers being folded over; to a whole fist;
and so on.  I believe Salishan languages have several numerals like this
too, and that such words refer to a system of counting on the hands.

Finally, there are languages which have lost very nearly all of their
native numerals to a powerful foreign language's influence.  I can't
think of examples just now, though!  And Michif has only one Cree numeral,
"one", but that's a whole 'nother case entirely, and the language also
has for example the French articles <un, une>.

Lush san!
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html