The Number Eight..../'Circumscribed' numerals

Henry Kammler henry.kammler at STADT-FRANKFURT.DE
Thu Jul 15 07:45:32 UTC 1999

> Supposedly most of the numerals in Lakota, Dakota etc. are
> 'circumscribed', meaning they have meaning rather than just indicating a
> number.  The meanings refer to fingers being folded over; to a whole fist;
> and so on.  I believe Salishan languages have several numerals like this
> too, and that such words refer to a system of counting on the hands.

Probably I chose a wrong wording. By "circumscription" I just meant
"analytical" expression, like "four and two" for 6 etc. In the Lakota
case it might be _metaphor_ rather than _circumscription_ and whether
this holds true depends also on whether the speakers are "still" aware
of the metaphorical meaning of their numerals.

(A nice example of _metaphor_ can be found in some languages in the
Sepik/Karawari Region of Papua New Guinea where you count down one
side of the body and up the other side. Thus, your left elbow may be
"seven" and your right elbow "thirteen". In order to say "seven" you
simply say "left elbow".)

If a language like CJ has a proper word for "eight", then expressing
the same notion by saying "six and two" will certainly have the air of
clumsiness, whereas in a language were "six and two" is the usual term
nobody will bother, I guess.

Cheers,
Henry