The Number Eight..../'Circumscribed' numerals (fwd)

Thu Jul 15 14:34:55 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:11:53 -0500
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at virginia.edu>
To: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
Subject: Re: The Number Eight..../'Circumscribed' numerals

The form for 'seven' in Chinook proper, which I have taken to calling
'Shoalwater Chinook' to distinguish it from 'Chinook' in the sense of the
Jargon, is sinamakSt  (see Boas, Chinook, 1911 (Handbook of American Indian
Languages Part I, p. 637 (Washington, D. C. :Government Printing Office))
	The second part is the word for 'two' throughout Chinookan (it's
the same in Wasco and Wishram at the eastern end).  What about sin-(a)-?  I
have long thought that it is a form for 'point' or 'end' or 'extremity'.
One has to guess.  But there are forms of the same shape elsewhere in
Chinookan and related languages which have such meanings.  (Sorry I don't
remember them off hand--if I remember right, there's a Penutian coagnate in
the sense of 'nose').
	That would make sense.  sin- for 'five' in the sense of a whole
hand of fingers, two to follow = seven.
	This is an inference, but clearly sin- is something (since makSt is
something, namely 'two').
	As for 'eight', I don't think I ever did figure out what it was,
except that it has the look of a verb word, if it is Chinookan in origin.
kwitst 'nine' has the meaning 'less than', as I recall (i.e., less then
'ten').
	Sorry to rely on my memory, being pressed at the moment.

			All best,
				Dell