Language contact in the NW: 2 notes

Thu Jul 15 15:23:43 UTC 1999

LaXayEm!

For you who are interested in the technical stuff, here are two notes
about language contact situations in the Northwest.

1)  From a paper I glanced through in _Northwest Anthropological Research
Notes_, without writing down a citation, I see that a study has been done
of the loss of the Cayuse language in the 19th century in contact with
?Nez Perce.  (I will find more exact information about this is requested;
otherwise, eventually I'll read the whole thing for my own use.)

2)  A. F. Chamberlain's "Report on the Kootenay Indians of Southeastern
British Columbia", in "Report of the Committee for Investigating ...
North-Western Tribes of the Dominion of Canada", 1886-1889 (reprinted in
_NARN_ vol. 8, no. 1/2, Fall/Spring 1974) has a section titled "KOOTENAY
JARGON".  He says, "it consists, in fact, of Kootenay words changed in
form and sound to conform to English grammar and phonetics."  And:  "By
means of this jargon, which consists of a Kootenay vocabulary mutilated to
suit European ideas of phonology and grammar, a number of the settlers
manage to get along with the Indians, and to obtain a reputation for
speaking the Kootenay language."  And:  "[I]ts development has been
hindered by the use of the widespread Chinook [Jargon]."

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html