"tayi kamosEk" / "tyee kamosuk"

Sat Jul 17 02:46:49 UTC 1999

LaXayEm!

alta nayka nanIch wEXt ukuk khapa uk bUk chaku khapa makuk-haws qha nayka
mamunk:

Now I see this too in the catalog of the company I work at:

"Chief beads" or "padre beads".

alta nayka dreht kEmtEks, wik-lili anqEti nayka nanich uk tEnEs-wawa "tyee
kamosuk" khapa i:xt bUk.

Now, I'm quite sure that it wasn't long ago that I saw the words "tyee
kamosuk" in some book.

Laksta-man yaka wawa yawa' khapa ukuk IlI7i wik saya' khapa uk hayaash
stalo yaka labush.

Somebody was talking there about the area close to the mouth of the
Columbia River.

alaxti uk 1830 sno ukuk.

This was maybe 1830.

pi ukuk:  i:xt nayka shiXs, yEkwa khapa Spokane, pi yaka ulman, Laska
tL!ap dreht ul kamosEk, tL!el kakwa uk kusax, khapa Spokane stalo.

This too:  A friend of mine, here in Spokane, and her husband, found a
very very old bead, dark-blue like the sky, in the Spokane River.

dreht yawa', wik-saya' makwst-takamunak sno anqEti, mILayt "Fort Spokane"!

In that same area, almost two hundred years ago, was located Fort Spokane!

LaXayEm, pi sIk nayka tEmtEm pus wik mEsayka tIki kw!Elan hayu-Ikta khapa
uk "beads".

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html