"Lillooet Stories"

Fri Mar 12 03:11:26 UTC 1999

Edited and revised by Randy Bouchard and Dorothy I.D. Kennedy.  _Sound
Heritage_, volume VI, number 1 (Victoria:  Aural History, Provincial
Archives of British Columbia).  1977.

This volume includes superb tellings of traditional Upper and Lower
Lillooet (Salishan) stories.  Quite a bit of interest to the Chinook
Jargon student is contained as well.  It would be good to hear a retelling
of some of these stories in Chinook Jargon; for example, Baptiste
Ritchie's account of the Flood of 10,000 years ago.  This is a story held
in common with many Northwest cultures, such as the Spokane, and that's
why I think it would make a wonderful subject to talk about in ChInUk
Wawa.

It's a true story, by the way.  Baptiste tells it with exact personal
names of people involved ("one of my ancestors, whose name was
In-CHEE-nim-kan") and caps it off with a simple, powerful note ("I,
Baptiste Ritchie from Mount Currie, now have the name In-CHEE-nim-kan").

You'll enjoy this book.  A cassette was issued with the same stories on
it, I understand.

Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html