Origins of Place Names in Oregon

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Tue Mar 16 13:18:27 UTC 1999

Hi.  A while back I reported the Oregon Blue Book no longer listed
origins of place names.  I was somewhat confused.  It refers the
reader to another book for place-name origins, but it does list the
origins of the names of Oregon's incorporated cities at
http://www.sos.state.or.us/BlueBook/1997_98/local_gov/incorporated.htm

Some of these are less than helpful, such as "Umatilla ... Named for
the Umatilla River," but some others are more descriptive.   Cities
named for Indian tribes are noted as such, but most other native
names are merely described as "an Indian word for.." But it's a place
to start.

Trivia question:  Which Oregon city was named for a painful infection
in a resident's ear?

Regards,

Jeff