Kanaka influence (fwd)

Thu Mar 4 02:53:43 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:40:27 -0800
From: lisapeppan at juno.com
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Kanaka influence (fwd)

For What It's Worth.

There were two Sandwich Islanders with Fort Langley's founding party 27
June 1827: Como and Peopeoh.

>From _Fort Langley Journals: 1827-30_ editor Morag MacLachlan. 1998.
Quoting pertinent portion of footnote regarding the 25 man founding
party:

"[...] Como, born in Hawaii in 1795, started his service with the North
West Company and died at Fort Vancouver in 1850 (information supplied by
Bruce Watson).  Peopeoh, according to Jason Allard in his
_Reminiscences_, was a relative of the "Kings of the Sandwich Islands"
who acted as a guardian of the Hawaiians employed by the Hudson Bay
Company.  He was a central figure in the Hawaiian settlement on Kanaka
Creek.
See Duncan 1972; Morton 1988; and Barman 1995."

Both men are still at FL on 25 Feb 1830; both had re-engaged for 2 more
years . . . and both had wives, where they hadn't in 1827.

"Kanaka" -- BW -- translates into "human being" (so says my New Pocket
Hawaiian Dictionary)

For what it's worth.

Lisa P
IBSSG