Squaw Butte (fwd)

Fri Mar 5 06:59:26 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:52:33 -0800
From: Emmett Chase <echase at qef.pps.k12.or.us>
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Squaw Butte

>From The Oregonian, Feb. 24:
"Squaw Butte may be renamed Chinook Ridge in March.
	The Washington State Board on Geographic names is considering a
proposal to change the name of Squaw Butte, a 2,552-foot ridge on the west
side of Silver Star Mountain, to Chinook Ridge.
	Although common in the frontier era, the word 'squaw' has become
distasteful to Native Americans and others.
	'My mother and my grandmother both were very opposed to any use of
that word,' said Amy Singer, a Chinook tribe member who lives in Vancouver.
'It offended them a great deal.  In that connotation, you refer in vulgar
terms to a woman.'
	The move to change the name to Chinook Ridge is an outgrowth of an
effort to create a Chinook Trail, extending from Vancouver Lake to the
Maryhill area in Klickitat County and then to Portland.
	An existing trail over the butte was used by members of the Chinook
tribe moving from the Vancouver Lake lowlands to the huckleberry fields of
Silver Star Mountain.
	A meeting with possible decision on the application is scheduled
March 10."

Emmett Chase