Henry's followup: Early linguists using CJ w/native people? (fwd)

Wed Mar 10 05:59:59 UTC 1999

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:08:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Henry Zenk <psu18009 at pdx.edu>
To: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
Cc: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Henry's followup:  Early linguists using CJ w/native people?

Hi Dave,

Regarding linguists who used CJ, I suspect Boas may have been more like
the last than the first.  Both Gatschet and Dorsey, who were in Oregon in
the 1870s and 1880s, were able to get by with English:  they simply
located Indians who could use English well enough, and depended on
them.  Neither learned to speak Jargon, but that is hardly surprising,
really, because both were here only for relatively brief periods--a matter
of months, not of the visits extending over years that Boas
undertook.  Perhaps Boas picked it up just because he spent a lot more
time around NW Indians, which gave him both more  opportunity to learn it,
and more occasions for it to be useful (he could talk to more people that
way, not just the ones who could speak English).  Interestingly, among the
Dorsey and Gatschet mss, there are Powell vocabulary outlines with Jargon
equivalents entered for printed English words:  in both cases, I suspect
these were prepared for use in the field, that is, as prompt sheets for
working with non-English speaking Indians.  But, it is clear that neither
man learned to speak.  Nor did Jacobs, years later.  I remember a poignant
notation in one of his Molala field notebooks:  the informant, Kate
Chantelle, had limited English, and Jacobs observes he probably could have
gotten more information if he were able to speak Jargon.

By the way, I took a look at the OHS reprint of the 1853 S.J. McCormick
dictionary after writing my last message.  There are certainly some pretty
clear indications there of a French-speaking compiler:  French spellings
of French-derived Jargon words; silent "h"; and "r" used to represent the
velar and uvular fricatives of Indian pronunciations.  So, Blanchet indeed
could have been involved.  Perhaps there is even some documentation
somewhere in his correspondence preserved at the dioescesan archives in
Portland.  Anyone who is interested should realize that it is mostly in
French.  Henry