Demers/Blanchet as early CJ linguists

Fri Mar 12 03:21:07 UTC 1999

LhaXayem,

Lili alta wik na munk c'Em ChInuk!  It's been a while now since I wrote
Chinook!

Pus ma tIki chaku-kEmtEks manak'i hayu khapa ukuk pasayuks lipret tIlIXEm
lhas munk c'Em ChInuk anqEti... If you'd like to learn more about those
French clerical people who wrote about ChInuk a long time ago...

Nixwa na wawa may pus ma hay-kEmtEks tunu's.  Let me ask you to listen a
bit.

Uk lipret Le Jeune khapa' khapa Kamlups, that father Le Jeune up in
Kamloops,

wEXt yaka munk c'Em <r> pus tunus-tIntIn /x/ pi /X/ khapa ChInuk... he
too wrote <r> for the /x/ and /X/ sounds of ChInuk.

Khakwa / For example:

A.
<ratrat> = /XatXat/ = "duck" (kElEkElE)

Pi khapa / And in:

B.
<kro> = /q'u7/ = "arrive",

ukuk tunus c'Em <r> munk-shawash uk <k>, khakwa "lEku /k/"...that letter
<r> makes the <k> into an 'Indian' sound, like a "glottalized /k/"!

BEt / but,

Wek-saya kwanIsEm uk lipret Le Jeune ya munk c'Em <r> pus dret /r/:
Father Le Jeune usually writes <r> for an actual /r/ sound:

C.
<laport> = /laport/ = "door"
<ridi> = /redi/ = "ready"
<solshirs> = ... = "soldiers"

Ma kEmtEks?

Alta na lhatEwa!
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html