CJ in Samish Dialect of Straits Salish

Sun Mar 14 00:55:27 UTC 1999

LhaXayEm,

It's interesting that you mention this, Jeff.  For some time now it's
struck my curiosity bone funny to see the similarity of Chinookan /ili7i/
or /ilihi/ with Salishan /7ule7xw/ etc.  (Much in the same way, it's
curious to see that Nootkan and Chinookan have virtually identical roots
/malh/ with the sense "sea".)

But having said that, it doesn't seem apparent to me that any variant of
the Salishan root is present in the Samish word for "turnip".

Lhush san,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html