Ergativity, or traces of it, in N.Am. pidgins? (fwd)

Tue Mar 16 06:25:30 UTC 1999

-- Dave]

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:25:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Henry Zenk <psu18009 at pdx.edu>

Hi David,

[...]

I do have some thoughts about, if not ergativity in CJ exactly, at least,
of CHINOOKAN ergativity reflected in CJ.  These reflections are clearest
in the Grand Ronde var of the language (I know some people object to
calling CJ a "language"), with its clitic as well as independent forms of
pronouns.  Jacobs was aware of two pronoun sets in Victoria Howard's
CJ:  one which he felt was derived from Chinookan pronominal prefixes
(they consist of the Chinookan prefixes plus -a), the other from Chinookan
independent pronouns (yielding the regionally familiar CJ pronouns).  I am
aware of three:  the Chinookan prefix + -a set (na, ma, ya, nca, mca,
Las--that last has more than just an added -a), the Chinookan independent
set (nayka, mayka, ya(X)ka, ncayka, mcayka, Laska), and a set that appears
to consist of truncated versions of the latter (nay, may, ya, ncay, mcay,
Las) (I disregard variant forms such as nEsayka for ncayka, etc.).  Note
that the third person pronouns are identical for sets 1 and 3.  I should
also note that forms from all three sets are documented for most
speakers.  Most speakers tended to interchange pronouns from sets
two and three with corresponding pronouns in set one, with one
important restriction:  the forms na, ma, nca, mca NEVER appear
postposed (that is, as object forms, OR as subjects in Pred-S
constructions).  (I should also note that Victoria Howard was a
Chinookan speaker besides a CJ speaker, but that other,
non-Chinookan speaking Grand Ronde Indians also used clitic
pronouns.)

Anyway, about Chinookan ergativity.  I was struck when I read Boas's
Chinookan grammar by the "ergative" identity of form between the 3 sg (I
believe masculine) intransitive subject and the 3 sg transitive object
prefixes; the 3 sg masculine n/g prefixes match too (don't remember how
all the prefix sets compare on this point; the ergativity of Chinookan is
however widely noted).  Well, isn't there a hint at least of Chinookan
ergativity in the patterning of the CJ clitic vs. independent (including
truncated:  they're interchangeable with independent) sets?  The forms
na, ma etc. simply never occur as object forms, nor as subject forms
postposed to nouns and adjectives.  That is, they occur only as subject
forms going before the verb.  Independent (including truncated) forms, by
contrast, may indeed come post-verb:  either as objects of transitive
verbs, or as subjects in clauses with noun or adjective intransitive
verbs.

Dell, if you're out there, any thoughts?  Henry