Klismass Potlatch kopa Stick Illahee?

Nadja Adolf nadolf at NAVITEL.COM
Wed Sep 8 22:26:27 UTC 1999

Hmmmm.... I'd be more inclined to head for San Diego than BC in December.
B^)
I remember being in grad school at Bellingham and having the sun disappear
well
before 5PM and not come up until well into morning in December.

Nayka tikke towagh pi waum; nayka tEmtEm Lush spose pulaklie tenas pi sun
hyas.
(I like light and heat; I think it good if night small and daylight big.)

On the other hand, if this is where it happens, this is where I'll probably
go, if
I can get the time off from work. B^)

nadja

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Cleven [mailto:ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM]
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 1999 9:07 PM
To: CHINOOK at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU
Subject: Klismass Potlatch kopa Stick Illahee?

{Maybe "Cole Stick Illahee" is even more evocative; "Land of the Frozen
Trees"?  "The North Country Forest"?]

Actually it just occurred to me that a Christmas-season potlatch might be a
good time to try a Jargon-hosted potlatch.  Not that I'm prepared to give
away 200 blankets or anything (!), but a potluck dinner accompanied by
songs, slahal, and story-telling - maybe even some midwinter dances from
the participating peoples and territories.  Mission might be a good place
to do it again because of the dormitories there, but maybe there's
alternatives in Chilliwack or somewhere else convenient to most parts of BC
as well as to all the Jargonauts down I-5, should any choose to come north
for the occasion.

There's people up-coast that may want to come down if we can find a good
date; I'll have to dig through my e-files and see who's written in who
might not be part of the list.  BC's a lot more spread out than you
Oregonians reading this so getting BC (and maybe Alaska) people together is
kind of problematic; California is closer to the Lower Mainland than Prince
Rupert or Kitimat; Tijuana's the same distance as Skagway, and there's no
direct highway other than by the old way (kopa hyas saltchuck waykut).  The
mid-Lower Mainland (Mission-Abby-Chilliwack) seems like the best place for
a Chinook event because people from the Coast and the Interior can get to
it fairly easy, and again it's close to the Hyas Tzum Kopa Illahee.

PS I'm using Stick Illahee for BC, kind of as a joke; "Timber Country", as
well as "the sticks", relative to the flurry of busy Jargon activity going
on within the Jargon community in Oregon.  I'm boggled by the whole thing;
it's amazing to think that when Jeff and I bumped into each other's
websites and fantasized about an on-line Jargon community it would become
such a full-fledged revival and the instigation of an apparently very vital
community.  Wondrous, pe towagh [towagh mamook?].  Naika skookum tumtum,
kloshe tumtum kopa okoke.  Hyas kloshe.  Tony, Emmett, Fritz, Jeff and all
the rest of you who I may or may not have met last year - kloshe yaka
piah-lo'lo.  Mamook hiyu, mamook elip kloshe, pe elip.  Nawitka!
Chinook-Wawa yaka mitlite kwonesum kopa tillikum konamoxt wawa, konamoxt
mamook.  Mahsie kopa konaway kopa mamook okoke!  Hiyu towagh, hyas kloshe!

Reactions?

Mike