Burdash again: "bardace" - attn Yann

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 1 08:14:13 UTC 2000

>From: Forrest Pass <forrest at TRINITY.UTORONTO.CA>

>"Berdache" doesn't appear in "Le Robert" (the French equivalent of the
>OED).  However, "bardache" is defined as "jeune garcon servant d'amant aux
>homosexuels" (young boy serving as a lover for homosexuals).  It first
>appear as "bardache" in 1568, and as "bardaiche" in 1537.  Its origin is
>Arabic (bardadj=slavery) through the Italian "bardasso" (young man).
>
>Forrest Pass

Thanks Forrest!  That solves that one; interesting Yann didn't know it when
it came up before.  I was examining the chapter a bit more closely in terms
of the date in question, which was "a century later" than the previous
paragraph, which as it turned out was in reference to the activities of the
Grand Vizier during the reign of Suleyman the Magnificent, mid-1500s IIRC.
So it was the mid-17th Century that this quote came from, not the mid-16th
source.

Can we qualify "burdash" now as having an Arabic, or at least ultimately
Arabic, origin? i.e. via French.  What tangled webs.....

MC